Share This Article
It was an exciting afternoon where young children from the informal settlement got to feel the inspiration of professional soccer.
Swansea City’s coaches made a visit on the 16th March to Dunoon, visiting 200 of SPICE4LIFE YOUTH ACADEMY’s children. The excitement and smiles on their faces will forever be remembered and the days activities will live on in their dreams of becoming the next SA soccer talent.
Many of these children don’t have much to look forward to in life with daily challenges just to survive. The Youth Academy was started by Mandla and Michelle in the hope of giving disadvantaged children their right to play as every child deserves to. Soccer soon became the inspiration that got over 300 children to join the SPICE4LIFE Youth Academy and soon was awarded local football club status.
Several of their teams went on to win their local LFA and get invited to play in the South African Football Association organised soccer tournaments where some of their players have shown exceptional talent. The Visit from Swansea City will live long in the hearts of the children as they were given the same attention that a young professional would have received.
A very big Thank you to Swansea City, Umbro SA and 7Stars Energy, Trilink Dynamics and the SPICE4LIFE Volunteers for making the experience an opportunity of a lifetime.
The inspiration continues – Live Fan Park a teaser to visit Britain
Cape Town will experience the Barclays Premier League like never before when the official fan park, Barclays Premier League Live comes to the Mother City. Soccer fans will have the chance to get up close and personal with the Barclays Premier League, the world’s most watched football league, and discover more about the host nation on the VisitBritain stand. There will also be chance to see the Barclays Premier League Trophy, meet former players, visit team tents, and watch matches live on a giant 118-square-metre screen.
- Free and interactive fan park at Camps Bay High School 19 – 20 March
- VisitBritain invite South African fans to discover Britain, the home of football
BPL Live will take place this weekend, at Camps Bay High School on the 19th and 20th March 2016. It will be a free, interactive experience designed for the entire family to enjoy. Hosted by the Premier League and their sponsor, Barclays, the park will be open from 12h00 each day and will close shortly after the matches finish.
VisitBritain, is a proud partner of the Premier League and now in their eighth year of partnership, work together to promote Britain as the home of football, ultimately converting international football fans into visitors. At BPL Live, fans will have the chance to learn more about the British regions and cities that are home to Barclays Premier League teams on the VisitBritain stand, including the North East, London and Wales, and take away souvenir photographs creating their own British football moment. Fans will also have the chance to purchase bookable football packages to visit Britain and experience the Barclays Premier League live for themselves.
Two of South Africa’s greatest Premier League players, Quinton Fortune and Lucas Radebe, will join other Barclays Premier League legends like Peter Schmeichel, Robbie Fowler and Shaun Goater in giving fans the opportunity to rub shoulders with some of their heroes.
Fans interested in attending should register at http://www.bpllive.com/ or by dialling *134*275#. Entry will be granted on a first come, first served basis, for up to 15,000 people, but all fans must register before entering. South African fans can keep up with the latest developments about Barclays Premier League Live at the websitewww.bpllive.com and from Twitter updates via @premierleague and #BPLlive.
Activities that fans can take part in include:
- The Live Match Zone – the main arena where fans will watch the live Barclays Premier League matches on a giant 118-square-metre screen, the largest BPL Live screen to date.
- The Trophy Zone – fans will be able to get up close to the Barclays Premier League Trophy.
- The Screening Zone – supporters will experience the noise and excitement of a matchday before learning all about the winning teams and captains of the Premier League in this exclusive film.
- The Pitch Zone – there will be a mini-football pitch where Barclays Premier League clubs will be conducting skills sessions with local football teams, and there will also be the chance for fans to have a game of football run by Premier League community coaches and Legends.
- The Skills Zone – there are three football skills pods for supporters to test their accuracy, close control and shooting power.
- The Signing Zone – fans can get autographs and photos with their favourite Legends.
- Club and Partner Zones – Premier League Clubs and official Partners, including Super Sports, will be present at the fan park with interactive games, Club mascots and memorabilia.
Match schedule (SAST):
Saturday 19 March
14:45 Everton v Arsenal
17:00 Chelsea v West Ham
Crystal Palace v Leicester City
Southampton v Liverpool*
Tottenham Hotspur v AFC Bournemouth*
Watford v Stoke City
West Bromwich Albion v Norwich City
19:30 Swansea City v Aston Villa
Sunday 20 March
15:30 Newcastle United v Sunderland
18:00 Manchester City v Manchester United
*matches may move to Sunday subject to Europa League involvement