Share This Article
The trick is to pick items of clothing, shoes and accessories that are versatile enough to go with a few other items in your suitcase in a complementary and effortlessly chic way, says Alia Motani, Creative Director at Brands Luv U (BLU).
“I would also recommend packing more tops than bottoms and avoid duplicating by packing items that look too similar – that’s just a waste of valuable suitcase space.”
Alia recommends including these fashion essentials in your luggage, for a holiday wardrobe that slays no matter where you’re headed to this summer.
- The denim jacket – When it comes to wardrobe essentials, the denim jacket is probably the most versatile item you could have in your closet. The Paige denim jacket has a worn-in look with a subtle washed effect for contemporary flair. Throw it over your shoulders in the evening when the weather gets a little nippier, or pair it with a summery maxi dress for a chic and casual look.
- Cotton blouses – Casual cotton tops are great for summer, keeping you cool and looking uber chic no matter the occasion. Opt for intricate prints and flowing fabrics if possible. Create the ultimate daytime brunch look by tucking a printed chiffon blouse into khaki Capri pants, or go for a relaxed beach look by layering it loosely over a bikini and shorts, topped off with a trendy, understated fedora.
- Classic T-shirts – Wardrobe basics like the classic cotton T-shirt are a staple, and are easy to style in a variety of ways. Whether it’s a simple scoop, V-neck or a trendy graphic tee, you can pair yours with a pair of ripped skinny jeans and slops for day-time shenanigans, or slip on a tailored blazer and heels for a look that’s perfect for a casual night out. Pack a few T-shirts in your suitcase this holiday – you’ll be surprised how many outfit options there are to choose from!
- Dark denim jeans – Every girl needs at least one flattering, well-tailored pair of jeans in her bag of fashion tricks. The general rule of thumb is to opt for dark-washed denims because these provide a more slimmed-down silhouette and complement a variety of colour pairings. Choose a cropped style for a more summery look, and dress it up with a smart cold-shoulder top and wedged heels, or a plain tank top and sneakers or flip flops for a more dressed-down look.
- The kaftan – Worn as a fun and fashionable statement piece or a colourful beach cover-up, the kaftan is one of this season’s must-haves and one of the most versatile pieces for an escape from everyday life. Pair the stunning Agua Bendita silk kaftan with a pair of wedges and plenty of Coachella-style metallic jewellery elements.
- A simple, well-fitted dress – Whether you prefer a maxi dress or the vintage-inspired varieties, it’s always a good idea to include a dress or two in your summer getaway wardrobe. Dresses can be worn at the beach, for a window-shopping stroll down Long Street or as a cover-up while sun-bathing by the pool. Pair with strappy, elegant sandals or go barefoot, if it’s the boho-look you’re after. That’s the beauty of summer – anything goes!
- Accessories – No holiday would be complete without a few summer essentials, like a good quality and stylish pair of sunglasses with UV-protection. Also, be sure to pack a statement handbag for special evening occasions, as well as a more casual and compact satchel or sling bag to use during the day or while you’re out and about.
Create the ultimate summer holiday wardrobe and arrive fashionably ready for any occasion with these hot fashion tips from Alia Motani and BLU, South Africa’s portal to international fashion trends and brands.
Visit www.brandsluvu.co.za to shop and experience BLU’s exquisite range of designer clothing, handbags, shoes and accessories – or get the full experience at the contemporary BLU store in Sandton’s eclectic commercial hub of Wynberg.